Content strategy is the plan behind the content you create.
It's goal is to unite business objectives with user needs.
A content strategist does this using many tools:
- Style, tone and voice guidelines
- Editorial workflow
Content strategists are usually very good at structuring content, identifying content gaps and analysing how your content is performing.
They should have key understanding of:
- Information architecture - meta data, taxonomies, hierarchical structure of content
- Content ops - editorial calendars, content workflow, governance
- SEO - how to rank web pages, identifying search opportunities, promotion
- Technology - Content management systems, HTML, how the web works
Copywriting skills are a must.
When to hire a content strategist
- When you don't know what content to create.
- When you're producing lots of content but it isn't having much impact.
- When your organic traffic is suffering even though your website is technically optimised.